Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Day 18 -Loss


Day 18- Today's picture is of St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana.  I spent most of the last 24 hours here.  This is where my father was flown after suffering a massive stroke.  I got the call that he was on the way to the hospital in his hometown, and began to prepare myself for the worst while hoping for the best.  My dad turned 80 last September and he has been a big part of my life all of my 51 years. He has always been there to cheer me up, give a hug, and help me see the lighter side of life.  

As he laid in the hospital bed in a coma surrounded by all three of us kids, my brother in law and my  stepmother, who has taken such good care of him over the years, not to mention the fact that she spoiled him rotten as well.  Also in the room were some near and dear friends of my dads from the many years he spent as a fireman and my sister's in laws.  Various friends stopped in to share a memory and let us know they cared.The love in that room was amazing, I am sure he felt it as well.

We were so lucky to have had two of the best ER nurses anyone in our situation could ask for.  Although it was explained to us that there was no hope for survival they also told us that his hearing would be the last to go and encouraged us to talk to him, not just about him.  In the following hours we, as a family, shared some of our fondest memories with one another and with Dad.  They kept him very comfortable as the hours passed.  When we said our final goodbyes this morning I hurt in so many ways, but I also felt so at peace that Dad was able to pass with us there with him and knowing how loved he was.

I do realize I am not the first to lose a loved one, I know that so many know this pain all too well. I also know that I came away from the hospital with an even bigger respect of the Danville Fire Dept and Dad's dearest friends.  The love and support they showed us all at this time was wonderful.  I now know why Dad considered them not only friends but also family. 

Lots of people walk through the doors of this hospitals and others like it.  Some have better outcomes than we did this time, but I can't imagine dealing with it all without having people around to help you through it.  

None of us know when our time here is going to end.  Show love, show support and make the best of every moment.

No comments: