Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 10 - Mississippi Zev


Day 10 - Today's picture of the day is our newest family member.  This is Winston Richard Donaldson Zev.  To most it is only a white dog standing in a field.  To my husband, Todd, and to some in his family this dog is much, much more.

Todd was raised in a family where bird hunting was a way of life.  They hunted quail and pheasants and they hunted them every single weekend from opening day until the last day of the season.  You fed and took care of the dogs all year long in hopes of a successful hunting season.  Sometimes before or after the season is over there would also be a bird dog trial or two to compete in as well to hang out with other bird hunters and see what your dog could do.

If you have been around the family much you have heard about the dog's of the Funneman history. There  were many, including Ralph, Bart, Missy KT, Boob, and Copper but probably most famous was a dog called Babe.  I don't know the stories near as well as those who grew up with them but I am aware of the tradition and the memories that Todd has of hunting and being home when his dad and uncle would come home after a day of hunting.  I grew up in a family that hunted, but I don't remember stories from them like the Funnemans have.  I learned a long time ago that in the Funneman family, when it comes to bird dogs, bloodline is a big thing.  They believe that a bloodline in a dog helps determine natural talent.  Todd's family's valued bloodline was Mississippi Zev.  Back in 2009 we had the last of the dogs around here with that bloodline and he passed without ever having sired any puppies.  Since then we have looked for the bloodline with no luck.  This past week I found a breeder in Tennessee with puppies that have this bloodline on both sides and we made a trip to Tennessee to get him.

I have enjoyed seeing Todd's excitement about having the bloodline back, not to mention seeing his mom even more pumped up about it.  Will this dog be something special?  Only time will tell.  I do know that as of now there is hope and promise of future bird hunts, field trials and memories to be made.  I hope that our grandsons grow to love hunting with Grandpa.  I hope someday they can share stories with their kids and grand kids about those trips.  I know that this white dog has brought a new attitude in our house and he is a lovable thing.  The trip to Lewisburg, Tennessee to  Middlin' Farm English Setters was a memory all in itself.  With Todd driving and me following waze on my phone to help guide him made for a good time.

Family memories should be treasured, and they should be shared with those you love.  When we have any family get together the stories are my favorite parts.  Cherish the memories and take any chance you get to make more.  Each day we get here on Earth is a gift and if you get a chance to share that gift with others you have to take advantage of it.



No comments: