Friday, February 27, 2015

Day 29 - It's for the birds

Day 29 - This morning as I went through my normal routine of getting ready for work, fixing Todd's lunch and then feeding the birds I decided to get the camera out.  This little guy was one of the lest skiddish ones of the bunch.  Is this the most beautiful bird at my feeders?  No, but today this feathered friend caught my eye.  For the record cardinals are my favorite birds.  I have a few pairs of cardinals that are starting to reappear at my feeders.  They are so pretty, especially when their backdrop is white snow.

I feed the birds because I really enjoy seeing how many and how many different types of birds I can draw to my feeder.  I try to figure out what type each of the birds are and learn just a little about them.  I don't take a lot of time to study about them because then my bird watching would become less fun for me, but I do like to know a little.  I think my love of birds comes from my mom and my grandma Francie.  They both had feeders and bird baths when I was growing up and they enjoyed the beauty the birds added to life.  I am lucky enough to now own the bird bath that my grandma had in her front yard and I really love it.

The bird above is in the Passeridae family - it is commonly called a sparrow.  There are a lot of different birds in the sparrow family, but I won't get into all those details.  I guess what I appreciate about this species is that it is dependable.  Even when no other bird is going to show at my feeder it will be there.  It seems a little more trusting than other birds, it is usually the last one to fly off when I go outside or move too quickly on the other side of the window.  I could look at it as the reason for this is because this bird is greedy, it is going to eat up every little morsel of food before it flies away, or what I would rather think is that it is more comfortable with my existence than the other birds.  Although the cardinals and the blue jays are much prettier to look at, they aren't around as much as these birds.

I think sometimes in life we tend to take those that we see every day and those that aren't new and exciting or as pretty as others for granted.  The dependable ones in our lives are there and we know they will be there, but we don't really think about what they bring to the table until they are one day gone.  For a short time I had bird food out and no birds were coming to my feeders.  I later figured out that a neighbor's cat was either plucking them off or at least his presence was scaring them away.  But before they all left I had kind of forgot to notice them even being there.  I fed them when the feeder was low, but really didn't take the time to notice if they were there or not.  Now that they are back I truly appreciate the fact that they add something to my life.

Family and friends are a lot like the sparrows.  It is easy to get wrapped up in a new person that comes along, maybe they live a little more exciting life or have something about them that seems more interesting than the faithful friends  and family you have.  It is great to enjoy those new "birds" in your life, but always take time to notice and appreciate the "sparrows" that are always there for you as well.

I am trying to be better about noticing the beauty in every part of my life, be it the sparrow above with its pretty markings and its movements or my hard working husband that has been through so much with me and still is there.  I look at him when he is asleep next to me and count my blessings that he is willing to deal with all my quirks, he works hard and is a good honest man.  Some days it becomes easy to only find flaws in the sparrows in our lives when in all actuality they are the things we should be most grateful for.

Feed your birds, and if possible, make today a day that you look back on and smile.

No comments: