Thursday, February 12, 2015

Day 24 - The Tunnels

Day - 24 - Today on my lunch hour I decided to take a drive out to a place familiar to my high school days.  The Tunnels.  This reference will mean something to those of us that graduated in the 70's and 80's.  This is where, as teenagers that thought we knew it all, would go to hang out with friends, party, paint our own style of artwork on the walls and in general have harmless fun.

It was no wonder that almost every party there got busted by the police because it was easy to see that there was no good going on from the interstate above.  We still seemed to meet at the tunnels, at the Kazbar, and at all the places that the local officers would be checking.  Yes, we were so smart back then.

Most of the time before we headed to these places we had spent a good portion of the night dragging main.  In downtown Effingham when we were in school most of the streets were not one-way streets, this allowed for a nice cruise route.  We would meet somewhere and cram as many people into each vehicle as we could, crank up the tunes on the eight track player (Usually with a match book stuck under the 8-track tape so it would work) and roll the windows down as your circled the two or three main blocks repeatedly .

Back then the price of gas was way less than it is now and this was the way to meet people from other schools and other towns.  The guys would make sure their cars looked good and sounded even better.  Some of us had our old beaters, but as long as you had a car that would survive stop and go traffic all night long you were in.  As your car circled the route you would pass the same cars over and over, most of the time two cars would be stopped side by side going opposite directions.  This gave the occupants a chance to converse without stepping too far out of their comfort zone.

Thinking about it now, and remembering when the city of Effingham decided to make all the streets up town one-way so they could stop what some of the merchants and older citizens referred to as a nuisance it kind of makes me sad.  I realize it is a different time, now with social media and cell phones there isn't a need for the kids to meet in this manner, but I know I made some pretty good friends that I probably would never have met had it not been for "dragging main" long enough to find out when and where everyone was meeting later at the tunnels or some other spot.

As I reminisce, I can almost hear Bob Seger, AC/DC, Styx,  Aerosmith, Boston, Rush, and many others that we listened to play in my head.  It was a much simpler time, yeah I know I sound old, and I am getting there, but I wish my kids and grandkids could have the opportunity to experience just a night or two of something that gives me so many memories that I hold dear.

I don't believe in living in the past, or worrying too much about the future because things that have happened can't be changed and things in the future are gonna happen.  Don't get me wrong - we have to plan, but a person can make themselves sick worrying about bad things that may never even happen.  Take time to live in today.  If you have good memories of yesterdays enjoy them and share them if you can.  Take a few minutes every now and then and download and play one of your favorite songs from the past, shut your eyes and remember what it was like to be carefree and living the dream.  

Make memories and enjoy every moment that you can!

No comments: