Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 26 - Beliefs

 
Day 26 - Today's picture is one I took as Todd and I left his work.  I always love a beautiful sky, it doesn't matter whether it is due to the morning sunrise or an evening sunset.  This particular one is a sunset.  As we were driving out I paused to take a picture of the cross in the skyline. I felt the picture was just too good to pass on and I thought it was fitting with Easter season beginning this week.

One of the wonderful things about living in the United States is that we are allowed to believe what we want to believe and the sacrifices made by others allowing us this right is something that should never be taken for granted.

I married into a primarily Catholic family.  Most of the family continues to practice Catholicism as my husband and I do.  Are we the best Catholics, no, there is plenty of room for improvement in that part of our lives.

Growing up I was always nervous when approached about religion of any kind.  We somewhat belonged to a small Christian Church, but really only went on certain holidays and joined others and went to Vacation Bible School in the summer.  We always believed in God and Heaven but didn't quite understand much more than that.

After I met Todd I joined the Catholic Church and studied the beliefs with Fr. Vidas Dutchinsky.  I learned a lot, but still have so much to learn.  I feel it is something that is a lifelong process.

I have family members that have and are joining the Lutheran Church.  I have many friends that are Lutheran as well.  I am happy with each of their choices.  As I said I have friends and family with many different beliefs, all of which I totally respect.  Some don't believe in religion at all.  I am okay with that as well.  In my opinion, a person's religious beliefs do not change the person they are.  If a person is good to me and to others I feel they have the right to believe and live the way they wish.  I will always pray for everyone I know, hoping that they will be welcomed into Heaven, even if right now they may not believe in it at all.

After losing Mom and now with the recent loss of Dad, I really need to believe in Heaven.  I really need to have that to hang on to.  I do believe that there is a Heaven where we will all be reunited after our time here is finished.  This belief makes losing those we love more bearable.

As we begin Lent, I pray that everyone finds peace within themselves and I am always humbled when remembering that Jesus died so that our sins can be forgiven.  When picturing the story in my head, it is so hard to imagine the sacrifices made so that we will have the chance to join our loved ones in Heaven.

Since losing Dad this past month I seem to notice more symbols. I felt a need to photograph the cross in the beautiful sunset because it seemed like a sign that Dad is being welcomed into Heaven, that we will be together again someday.

No comments: