Monday, February 9, 2015

Day 21 - Recognition


Day 21 - Recognition - Today's picture is of a relative but also a good friend of ours and his mother.  Dennis Blievernicht was one of the former athletic standouts of Dieterich High School that were inducted into the initial class of their hall of fame.  I received a message from his wife that he was going to be honored at the Friday night game and immediately knew that we would be attending.  I mentioned it to Todd and he agreed.  In our normal state we were running a little late to get to the gym but I did get there to see the first inductees take the gym floor.  There were a few teams that were inducted and then the individuals were brought out.  Dennis was honored with about twelve others for their accomplishments while wearing Moving Maroon uniforms.

It was great to see Dennis and the others be honored for their accomplishments, but what was even more moving was to see the pride on his mom's face.  She, rightfully so, was very proud of the man we lovingly refer to as Bully.  Dennis's mom, Irene, is a sweet hard working person who always has a smile and a warm greeting when I see her.  I had the honor of working with her in the fast food industry years ago and always enjoyed a shift that she was on.  She had a wonderful sense of humor and always worked hard, with a smile on her face.

Also at the gym were Dennis's wife, Kathleen, all three of their kids their two grandkids, a couple of his brother-in-laws and some if not all of his siblings, as well as others.  I didn't get to see everyone that were there for him, so I am sure I have missed a few.

I am very happy for Bully, for being recognized for his accomplishments of the past, but most of all I am so happy for him that he is blessed with such a supportive family.  His love of his family and his tremendous faith are two things that are much more impressive than the accomplishments that were being recognized Friday night.  This man is many times a man of few words, always a smile and a laugh and always takes time to honor God and his family.  He and Kathleen commonly refer to one another as boyfriend and girlfriend and I don't know another couple that seem any more in love than these two.

In deciding on this picture, I wanted to show a wonderful lady that raised an awesome son.  I hope as my kids continue to grow that others will value their friendship as I value this and the many friendships I am lucky enough to have.

If you have the opportunity to connect with a friend, even one that you have lost touch with, take the opportunity, it might be the one thing that friend needs.  Have a wonderful week, spread love and cheer any chance you get.





No comments: