Thursday, February 26, 2015

Day 28 - When the Wind Blows

Day 28 - It is winter in Illinois.  I will go on record that although I live where Winter is inevitable, I am not a big fan of it.  If I could afford to pack up all my things and all those I love and move us all together to a warmer climate I would be looking for boxes to pack things in and not writing this blog today.  I am in Illinois because I was planted here.  I do try to bloom where I am planted, but this winter Mother Nature and I are having some issues.  

Growing up I was raised in an outdoors, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, sledding and anything outside kind of family.  I was the black sheep of that family.  After a few minutes of the snow I was ready to head inside and watch it from the window with a warm cup of hot cocoa in my hands.  If I would have been planted in Colorado or Utah, I would have been the one that would have met you all back at the lodge.  I would have been happy to hold you a place by the fire, but I can imagine one trip down the slopes would have been more than adequate to satisfy my snow hunger.  

Is a white Christmas nice, well sure it is.  If the snow falls the night before and the roads are all clear for everyone to reach their desired destination.  Anything more than that is unnecessary in my books.  I kind of envy those that love snow and winter.  They are the ones out frolicking in it, building snowmen, sledding with friends and loving every moment of it.  Hell my brother and nephew like to go ice fishing..... now I do like to catch a fish occasionally, but to go to the effort of drilling a hole on a frozen lake to freeze my behind off while hoping to pull a fish from that hole is not on the top of my bucket list at all.  Now I think it is great they enjoy it.  I really enjoy seeing pictures that they would happen to take of their efforts, but the odds of me choosing to join them.... slim to none.  

I took the picture of my house after a recent covering of cold white crap (snow to those of you that enjoy this kind of thing) because when I walked out my front door on this particular morning the two wind chimes I have hanging were reminding me of my Mom and Dad.  I received wind chimes in their memories and have them hanging on the same Shepard's pole in front of my house.  I love when the wind blows to make the sweet sounds that resonate from them.  Every morning as I pass the two wind chimes if the wind isn't making them move I help them along and say "Good Morning Mom, Good Morning Dad".  Some probably consider this morning ritual a sign that my family should be looking for the home to put me in, but for some reason the sweet sound of those two wind chimes help me feel connected to those two important people who I miss so much.

If you love the winter, and you live near me, I feel you have had your share of what you love, isn't it time to say goodbye to the winter and bring on the spring.  I know I often talk about how we shouldn't wish our lives away, but if I could skip on past the last couple of weeks of winter and get to one of my two favorite seasons I promise I would allow time to slow way down.  

One of Todd's cousins, thanks Angie Borrelli, posted on Facebook recently "Yes we can all be negative and grumpy, it's human nature!! But my thought today is......If we didn't feel the cold against our faces, would we know to appreciate the warm sunshine when it kisses our faces? If our toes weren't cold from time to time, would we recognize and smile and notice how wonderful it feels to dip them in the ocean and run barefoot across the grass? ....If we didn't know heartache then we didn't know love. So my challenge today is to take a negative in our lives and remember a positive that counter acts those grumpy feelings......I am anxious to hear all of our positive thoughts and beautiful memories !!! Hope you are smiling not only with your faces but your hearts too !!!" 

I commented on that - "Great post Angie, I needed to be reminded of that today. Thanks!"  And then I felt that -5 degree cold against my face as I passed my wind chimes wailing in the wind, saying Good Morning Mom, Good Morning Dad, got into my car, drove to the mailbox to mail something, realizing that my window was now frozen down and wouldn't roll up.... Yep Ang, I got a little more than my share that morning of the cold against my face.  I smile as I will remember that morning when Spring arrives and I promise to appreciate all the warmth and beauty it brings with it.  

As we all endure the final weeks of this winter, I will do my best to stay as positive as possible, I hope all that have to or choose to be out in it do so safely and if you enjoy this weather enjoy it a little extra to make up for those like me that are only riding it out in hopes of being around to enjoy Spring and Summer.  

Smile, and make wonderful memories today. Some day it will be our turn to leave this world and move on.  May the wind move the wind chimes in your life that refresh the wonderful memories you have of those that are waiting for our arrival in the afterlife.  

No comments: