Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Day 27 - Winter

Day 27 - As I drove around looking and thinking about today's picture I drove by Bliss Park in Effingham.  This park has been around for a long time.  For awhile it seemed somewhat in disrepair and wasn't really a place of beauty.  The city or park district has done a lot of work on this park and now it has been improved and is really a nice area.  I immediately noticed the  bright yellow  slow, children playing sign against all the white snow.  Obviously there aren't many children playing in the sub zero weather we have been experiencing, but I am sure it won't be long and the park will again be filled with life and laughter.

A couple of things come to mind when I looked at this scene.  I notice the tables that will be filled with friends getting together over lunch in the near future.  I see the snow covering everything, knowing it is necessary so that the beautiful flowers can go through the process they need to be able to bloom in the spring, and I notice the sign.  The sign not only reminds us to drive slow as a precaution.  Today I also feel it is yet another reminder to slow down and notice the children, notice the life they bring, notice and enjoy the laughter in them.  It is so easy to get wrapped up in the bills that need to be paid, the sadness of losing a loved one, or the depression of another cold and blustery day.  When I think of my three kids, who are now all adults, I remember so many times when they were young and having fun with one another and I was stressed about this or that and yelled at them to calm down because I wasn't in the mood for all the noise.  Now I look back and realize they were only making memories among themselves.  Now when our family gets together, there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing all three of my kids together, laughing, joking with one another, even if it is in some way making fun of me for something I have said or done.  The sound of the three of them laughing together and the sight of all of them with smiles on their faces is priceless. When I see my youngest grandson smiling at one of his older brothers it is more valuable than any painting in a museum.

When my mom passed, the night before her funeral my brother, his family, our dad and my family all were welcomed into my husband's brother's home.  He lives much closer to where Mom lived than we did and he has a wonderful home that he and his wife open up to company all the time. After the visitation we all came back to their home to visit and remember good times with Mom.  It was great having Dad there with us and drank a few beverages and we laughed and we cried, but I will never forget the bonding time it was for us.  I know many will find it inappropriate that we celebrated the night before Mom's funeral, but we were by no means celebrating her loss, we were celebrating her life and all the memories that meant so much to us.  I remember clearly Dad hugged me that night and said to me, "You damn sure better celebrate me like this someday when I am gone as well"

When we said goodbye to Dad for the last time almost a month ago, that night in his hospital room after his stroke memories were easy to come by.  My dad made his mark on this world in a lot of ways.  He loved life, he lived life and he was who he was.  One of the evenings after my kids arrived in town we honored Dad's wishes.  Again, I know it may not be in some's eyes appropriate to stay up way too late, drink way too many beverages, laugh too loud and shed our tears between laughing at a memory that came up, but it is what we do, and it is what Dad told me I "damn sure better do" for him.  He was there to witness Mom's celebration and I know he was there in spirit with us when we celebrated his.  I am telling my kids now - when I pass, I expect the best pre-funeral party ever.  I expect to be hearing their laughter and seeing their smiles.

I know - what does that have to do with winter?  As we weather this cold winter, like the sign says, slow down and enjoy the children - grasp any joy that you can get during this season.  Seasons aren't always weather related.  If you are in an unpleasant season in your life now, it is especially important to notice the little things, as those are what will help you hang on until a better season arrives.

If you know someone who is in a season of their life that isn't good, do what you can to make them laugh and help them hold on until their spring or summer arrives.  If you are in a season like this, reach out and let others help plant the memories that will bloom into the flowers of your life.  Friends and family are important, don't block them out when you need them most.  Try to remember what you love about those you love and then take the time to enjoy it.  Life is short, even the winters go fast so make it a priority to find something to enjoy, even if it isn't your favorite season.

No comments: