Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 44 - Storms


Day 44 - This morning there were storms rolling in and as I waited at a stoplight I thought this was an interesting photo.  It shows the storm clouds above but in the distance, but not too much of a distance is St. Anthony church.  The oncoming traffic with their lights on added just a little something to it for me.

I think that everyone has to survive the storms in their life in order to enjoy the sunshine.  The dark clouds sometimes are merely the negative thoughts in our minds or the people that bring drama into our lives.  I believe that these storms, like those that nature brings are purposeful.  The storms of nature knock frail branches from trees, and the rains cleans the dust and dirt from the area.  The storms in life help us appreciate the good things when they arrive.  If every day was full of sunshine and warmth would we really appreciate it after a while?  I tend to believe that eventually it would become boring and we would no longer smile at the sight of it.

This year my father passed away.  When I think of that day, it is still hard to deal with.  Seeing Dad there with a breathing tube coming from his mouth when we arrived at the hospital.  And watching even after they removed it as he took each breath wondering if that would be the final one.  As I rubbed his head, which when he was alive irritated the hell out of him, I just wanted him to open his eyes and tell us all he was okay.  I knew that wasn't going to happen, the doctors had been very clear about what the outcome would be.  This particular storm in my life was really dark, but it also allowed our family to stop and take time to remember all the sunshine that Dad brought into our lives. We all have so many memories of good times and fun things we did with him.  Be it an inappropriate comment or just a smile and a hug.

In the picture above although the storm clouds are lurking above the church ahead it lit up as if to guide the way.  I believe that through the storms in life if we allow the light into our lives it will help make the storms more bearable.  Some of nature's storms have destroyed entire communities, taking peoples homes, businesses and even lives.  I know that currently a young local mother and her two young boys are in the midst of a storm that has been relentless.  She has shown strength through this storm and is being protected as much as possible through the prayers of the whole area.  Like a community that is preparing for a hurricane by boarding up windows and making sure things are ready for the high winds, everyone that knows LeAnn or knows anyone that knows her has her surrounded by prayer. I feel that although she has already endured more than anyone should and as she prepares for whatever the Lord has in store for her she has shown amazing strength and faith.

Sometimes the storms bring damage that can't be repaired, and we have to deal with the devastation as best as we can.  If we can look beyond this devastation, as hard as it sometimes is we can see the light and the beauty of what is ahead for us.  I believe in my heart that although I miss my parents in the day to day life here I will be reunited with them in another place.  I also believe that they no longer deal with any pain or suffering.  I believe that the afterlife is our sunshine after the storms we endure here.

If you are in the midst of a storm, find shelter in others and in your faith.  If you are constantly under a dark cloud because you allow those negative people and things into your life do something to change it.  Try to be the light in someone's life and bring positive thoughts to them. Before you speak, stop and think about what you are about to say.  If it isn't something positive, maybe you can try to change your thoughts and change what it is before sharing it.  We not only have the power to help change the world for the better, we have the responsibility to do so too.

No comments: