Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 39 - My Son

 
Day 39  is a picture of Josh.  Well it is Josh and another SIUE student, David Zimmerman, in the midst of performing one of the many "one-act" plays during the SETO Uncapped Theater.  SETO stands for Student Experimental Theater Organization.  I have been to a few of these over Josh's time at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, but this will most likely be the last.  Is it the last because I don't enjoy them? No.  I am just being realistic that had my son not been a part of them over the past few years I wouldn't have known about nor probably taken the time to go and see them.  If I lived closer to Edwardsville I would probably attend many more shows there because the ones I have seen have been good.

As for this years Spring SETO show, Josh played many different parts.  He opened both acts with some of his standup.  Most in the audience appreciated his comedy, a couple didn't seem so impressed.  Heather and I noticed one gentleman sitting a row in front of us that didn't seem to enjoy much of the show at all.  We laughed at the funny skits and when the deep, sad ones ended we took a moment to stop and think about it. From the way I understand it the students write, direct and cast the different plays which is what I find very interesting.  Was Josh's satirical portrayal of Jesus my favorite role he ever played, of course not. I enjoyed it because I realized it was a role he was playing.  A few in the audience were less than impressed with the play in general and one or two probably left the theater  not liking different students because of the characters they had portrayed.  I felt each of the actors did a great job with the different parts they performed.  I also feel that it would be easy to take only the roles that you want to be associated with; that the challenge in acting becomes playing someone completely different than yourself.  

As I close I want to again give a standing ovation to all of the theater students at SIUE that I have had the opportunity to watch on the different stages there.  You have all impressed me.  I have watched some plays that made me laugh a lot, some have touched my deepest thoughts and one or two that made me step out of my comfort zone and really think about them in order to appreciate them.  I can honestly say that I have enjoyed them all.  

As Josh's college career winds down I find myself getting more and more emotional.  After each performance I can't wait for him to come out afterwards so we can take a few pictures and talk about the performance.  I haven't made it to every performance of every play, but I have tried.  

If you have kids that enjoy sports, or anything for that matter embrace it.  Go to support them.  I have been lucky that my three all participated in different things.  I had a cheerleader, one that played basketball and ran track and cross country and then I have my actor/comedian.  I have enjoyed each event and am proud of all three of them.

Enjoy the day and if you have the opportunity to help make someone else's day better please do so. 



























No comments: