Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 35 - Family Time

Hadleigh Pierce in Seussical The Musical

 Day 35 - This past weekend I headed over to Indiana.  I hadn't been that direction since Dad's funeral.  It was kind of an emotional trip.  You see when you lose a parent that lives away from you and you don't see every day I think your coping mechanism is you just think you haven't seen them for a while.  But when you go to where they should be it becomes more of a reality.  This trip was made by Jill and I.  We headed over this weekend because two of my nieces had performances this weekend.

Saturday night we got into town just in time to drop our bags off and head to the school to see Morgan in "Through The Decades" performed by Covenant Christian High School Fine Arts Program.  This was an impressive rendition of famous songs from the 1930's up to today's hits.  The school has what is called the Chamber Choir and the Treble Choir.  From what I understand the Chamber is what would be considered varsity. and the Treble is the junior varsity.  I was very impressed with the singing and dancing skills of all of the students.  I was very impressed with the enthusiasm and skill the Treble Choir exhibited.  Of course, my niece was exceptionally good.  This is the first time I have been to any of their school or other performances.  I hope to be able to make it to more.

Saturday night we got back to my sister's house and she and I sat up until 4:30 am just talking.  We don't get the opportunity to get together like that and just sit and visit very often so although we both knew that we should have went to bed so much earlier, we both kept talking.  I paid the price for it with coming down with a massive sinus infection/flu and being in bed for the past couple of days but I still don't regret it.  My sister and I became sisters when my dad married her mom back in 1969.  She is 6 years younger than I am and before she came into my life I was not only Daddy's little girl, but also the baby of the family.  Brenda changed all that.  She came into our world and in the beginning she wasn't very fond of me and I reciprocated the feelings.  If she cried and wanted someone to help her it meant anyone but me.  When she sat on Dad's lap I would almost knock her off so I could sit there instead.  If Dad gave her any attention, I would try to do the same thing to get attention.... note to self, what is cute when a one or two year old does it isn't so cute when a seven or eight year old does.  Anyway, through the years Brenda and I have had our times of being so close and times that we didn't see or really talk for extended periods of time.  Never have we not loved one another, and never have we not cared about what was going on in one another lives.  It is kind of like a really good friend, you don't have to see one another or talk all the time to still care deeply about one another.  Saturday was fun and it was great to visit with them.

Sunday morning we got up and took Hadleigh to Crossroads Christian Church so she could get ready for Seussical the Musical.  This play was performed by Hendricks Civic Theatre group and it was really good.  The show consisted of over 100 kids from ages 5 or so all the way to 17 or 18.   Everything about the show was impressive.  I have to note that the boy who played The Cat in the Hat and the one who played Horton were both incredible.  The Cat, Jim Melton, was so funny, his timing was great and he pretty much stole the show.  My niece was one of the bird girls and she did a great job with the part.  In the show she sang and danced and it was fun to watch.  Hadleigh loves to perform and it shows.  She looks so confident on stage and seems to really enjoy being there.  She does a lot of different performances for a few of the theater groups so I am sure I will have the chance to watch her perform again soon  I look forward to see what the future brings for her.

Family, in my world, means so many different things.  My parents divorced when I was only five. Dad married Kathy and not long after Mom married my step father Jimmie.  Along with these unions came new siblings.  What started out as just my brother and I became me having four brothers and two sisters.  Over the years we have all kept somewhat in contact with and always enjoy when we see one another.  Since Mom's death I haven't had the opportunity to see my step sister and brothers on that side much.  One of my nieces is getting married in May and I am looking forward to a chance to see them and visit with them in Nashville.  I have some friends that don't have a relationship with any of their family.  I find this hard to understand, even though I am sure they have their reasons.  I have so many people that I consider family that mean a lot to me.  I believe that if you have family and friends in your life you should count your blessings, I know I do.  Some people come into your life as friends but become family because they mean so much more than just a friend.  Although there isn't a blood relationship, these people are still family.

If you have family or friends that are like family, embrace them.  Love them and appreciate them.  When something that is important in their lives comes about if you are able, enjoy it with them.  If you can keep in touch with an occasional email, a letter or card, or even better a phone call or a visit try to do so.  You never know when the last time will be, so try to make each time worth remembering.  If you get the opportunity to stay up all night just talking, do it, even if you get a little puny afterwards, it will be worth it.

No comments: