Friday, March 13, 2015

Day 34 - Francie

Day 34 - This morning I decided to take a picture of this beautiful girl.  This is Francie.  My dad turned 80 last September and he had wanted a puppy for the past four or five years.  My sister has a teacup Yorkie, Lacey, and Dad always thought she was so wonderful.  For his birthday we three kids decided to pool our funds and get him a puppy for his birthday.  She was a little ball of fur and full of energy.

Each time I called Dad over the next few months he had a Francie story for me.  She had ran off and he had to get in the truck and find her, she had used his hands as a chew toy.  Each story began with "that dog".  I would always reply, "yes, but she is so cute".  He would agree and the story would go on.  He did love her, even though they only got three and a half months to bond.  When Dad passed I am sure Francie wasn't sure what was going on, her snuggle buddy wasn't there anymore.  My stepmother was supposed to have some back surgery so my brother and his wife agreed to dog sit for a few months while Kathy recuperated.  After Dad's funeral, when the puppy was supposed to come for its visit, Kathy decided that she didn't want to keep her anymore, so my brother's house became her forever home.  At one time they had a yorkie that they loved dearly and it had died not too long ago.  My sister in law wasn't too sure about the forever home thing for Francie, but they are good loving people and they didn't want Dad's dog, the one he had chosen the name Francie for to go to someone outside the family.  You see, Francie was my grandmother's name.  It was such a sweet gesture of Dad to name her after his mother.

I am dog sitting for Francie this weekend.  I don't mind dog sitting, I kind of enjoy it because I get to play with her and snuggle with her but I don't have to worry about the normal day to day stuff with her.  When I look into this puppy's face and into her eyes I see a loving soul.  She is so lovable and trusting.  She snuggled up with Todd and I last night like she belonged there.  And she does, but only for the weekend.

I have had some dogs in my lifetime that have changed my world.  As a kid I had Mudgy.  She was a mutt that stole our whole family's heart, She showed, as most dogs do, unconditional love.  She was an outside dog that I would sit on the porch for hours and she always sat next to me as if to say "I know what is on your mind and I am here for you".  Later in life I had Dominique.  She was a Maltese.  Again, she was always the first one to greet me at the door with excitement.  No matter how bad my day was she was there and happy to see me.  When I got sick and was in the hospital for an extended time, I believe she thought I died and had a nervous breakdown.  She pulled most of her hair out and when I got home she looked something like an opossum.  When I was pretty much in bed for three months she laid next to me the entire time.  She was like a little furry (when she finally got her hair back) angel.  Dominique passed a few years ago leaving me only with Ralphie in the house and with a feeling that after Ralphie is gone I only want the occasional dog sitting position.

I don't know if my step mother will ever decide she wants Francie back but I do know that whether she lives at my brother's house or my step mother's house she will have a good loving home and she will be a good addition to their family.

I believe that dogs are one animal, even more so than humans, that truly show unconditional love.  You can step on their foot, you can ignore them, you can yell at them and they always come right back willing to love you.  I think the world would be a better place if we all had a little more of this ability.  Today it seems so many are so busy worrying about where someone else has failed.  I think we all need to try to focus on the positives and be the person that is there when someone needs it regardless of past issues.  There are times I know I let down my family and my friends.  Sometimes I haven't been as good of a person to them as I should.  I have been let down by some of my family and friends, but I can assure you that they have all made a difference in my life and I hope that I can in some way convey to each of them how important they are to me.  I can't tell my parents that now, at least not in the way I can others that are still here, but I hope they know how much they were and still are loved and how much I still miss them.

Now I challenge myself, and you to try to forgive those that "stepped on your foot" or hurt you in some small way.  Mend a friendship that meant so much but has broken off for some reason.  Let at least one person know that you forgive them and still care.  It may make a huge difference in their lives.


No comments: