Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Friends and Family


It has been a while since I have posted.  The other day I realized that I miss posting to my blog.  I decided a picture to start the routine back would need to be something that made me happy.  The picture above is of two important people in my life.  The baby is my newest grandson, Drew, and the person holding him is Laura.

Laura is a person I first met in school.  She was in the class behind me.  She was one of a set of twins.  I usually couldn't tell them apart, so I told them both the same thing.... "you are pretty short for your height".  Were they short? Yeah they were, but so was I.  We were the same height.  When Laura began working with me at McDonald's I got to know her better, but after she quit working there we kind of lost touch.  Our paths crossed again when I began dating Todd.  Todd's best friend, Terry, was engaged to Laura.  We began hanging out and became close.  Our kids were close and as we followed our husbands to softball games and basketball tournaments our connection grew.

Our kids grew up and Laura's daughter began playing high school basketball.  I enjoyed following the team.  The coach, Dennis Koester, referred to Laura and I as "gene killers".  You see we are both under 5'5" and my husband is 6'5" and Laura's is 6'10".  Coach said had we not married the guys, they might have married tall girls and had even taller kids.  It was a joke he enjoyed saying over the years.
As time has flown by I have depended on Laura for a lot of things.  We have called one another when things have gone wrong with our kids, our parents and sometimes our husbands.  She is like an aunt to my kids and is even the Godmother of one of my grandsons.

I have been blessed with some wonderful friends and Laura is one of them.  She is always smiling and is always there.  Many times she has known that I needed her there even before I did, she is a very genuine person who is like a sister to me.

The picture above was taken at my grandson's bowling party.  No, it wasn't Drew's party, he is still a little young for bowling, but it was great to see Laura and Terry at the party.  When I count my blessings Laura is one of the ones I always include in the count.  I have also been blessed with four grandsons and when Jill and Kevin marry I will also get a granddaughter in the deal.

Being Grandma is something I treasure, and I also value being a friend.  I have many friends that I hold dear, and I can only hope that they value my friendship even half as much as I value theirs.  I know that without my friends and my family my life would not be what it is.

If you have true friends, value them, and try to be a good friend to others.  A nice gesture or even a smile can go a long way in making another person's life better.

To my friends, thank you so much for making my world brighter, and so much more fun!

No comments: